Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Repurposed Front Door

So we had to replace our front door.

There were a lot of reasons we had to get a new door.  I'm not sure if the door was the original door, our house is 100 years old this year.  I wish I knew if it was the original door or not.  Anyways, it wasn't energy efficient.  The wood below the window pane (which also wasn't energy efficient) had a straight line vertical fracture in it so suffice to say, this little entrance room felt like a freezer last winter.  The handle broke off a couple times so when it did that I told hubby that we absolutely needed to get a new door for the front entrance before winter came along.

Now we're left with the question of what to do with the old door.  It solid wood, very heavy.  I know that if I left outside by the curb, it would be gone in no time.  Instead I decided to repurpose it.

I cleaned it real good and then painted it white. A few days later I added Annie Sloan's dark wax to give it that distressed looks.

I painted the glass with black chalk paint.  The door is now placed in front of a doorway that needed a door.  When we moved into this house about a year and half ago, this room was used mainly as a tv room but we turned it into the bedroom (so that hubby wouldn't have to go up and down the stairway to an upstairs bedroom).  This doorway is between the dining room and our bedroom so I thought that by putting the newly repurposed door there, it would look very nice and stylish in the dining room but also cover up the bedroom.  Oh!  I forgot to mention that we have another entrance into our bedroom from the living room....that's another story for another time.

I'm thrilled that I can decorate my new repurposed door with whatever season were in and write a beautiful message on the black chalkboard.  I'm also thrilled that I can keep this older door in the house, especially if it was the original.

So, what do you think?

Thanks for visiting!  Have a great week :)  Until next time,


6 comments:

  1. Wow what a great idea!! I love it. : )
    I thought of you when we decided to use wood pallets for the shingles on our cabin up at Happy Trails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) LOL! I have more pallets sitting in my garage that I need to hurry and do something with them. Shingles is a great idea!

      Delete
  2. I ♥ it to BITS!
    I'd love one ..somewhere:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank you! How about your beautiful garden, even if it is outdoors??

      Delete
  3. Beautiful! It's great that you saved the door, and I like your idea of decorating it seasonally.

    We have 2 doors in our house that we will be replacing soon. One is on the family room, and it was cracked at one time by a previous owner, and the other door is on my office. The office door is getting replaced with a vintage door that we brought with us from the homestead..... can't wait!

    Have a sweet day, and keep warm.

    ~K.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) Oh please do take pictures of your new doors, I'd love to see them :)

      Delete