One of my very first projects with the pallets I have gathered since arriving to the Mitten State. Actually this is my second project , my first is almost ready for it's debut which will be soon. So, I watched Funky Junk Int. girl make one a while back and I decided then and there that someday I would make one.
Here are the pallets I gathered since June. Last week I finally decided to take them apart. . . .not a fun job but someone has to do it. I'm glad the days were in the 60's-70's, dry and breezy and just plain wonderful. Knowing these would be the last few days with such nice weather, I knew it was time to get crackin' and start pulling them apart.
I placed all the wood planks together by size. I also sanded them down and smoothed out the edges.
This is my first time working with wood, nails, power tools, etc., Hubby had to show me how to use the circular saw. I got carried away, I forgot to take pictures :| but here's the beginning of the caddy. I took three 18" boards and nailed them together.
These are the ends for the caddy. I cut them out of another 18" board that I split in half. I used a jigsaw to cut the curves, sanded and smoothed them out too.
The ends matched. . . almost, for the most part. But before I attached them, I drilled a hole at the top of the ends for the dowel to go through.
I had to slightly sand the holes a little more so that the dowel could go through a little smoother. The dowel finally fit in perfectly.
View from the top just before I stained it.
I will get lots of uses out of my caddy. It may not be perfect but it's got the rustic look, bings and all.
Here are the instructions on how I made it (click on image to zoom in):