Tuesday, August 26, 2014

'Tis the Season, Football Season that Is

The good thing about removing summer decorations and getting ready for the next season excites me to no end.  Not only because Fall is around the corner but Football comes first!  I'm a BIG fan of College Football but especially all things vintage football.

I decided to make some pillow covers for my sofa pillows with some painters cloth I had leftover from another project.  Here's how I made them:  I took the pillow and centered it on the fabric (see above image).

I then took four small pieces of scotch tape and wrote an L shape mark I used as a guide on all four corners.  These guides helped me to keep the image I was drawing within the boundaries without going over.

My plan was to make a pillow with our favorite team logos (NY Giants logo, the Dallas Cowboy star and a generic image).  I used a pencil and a ruler to help make my images.

After I drew the images, I painted them with acrylic paint. Once done painting, I let them dry for at least a day to 24 hours.  Erase any leftover pencil marks if necessary.

Here they all are!  Aren't they adorable??

PUTTING THE PILLOWS TOGETHER
I placed the fabric with the image facing down (triple checking the paint is completely dry for this step!).

I centered the pillow.  Tested it to make sure it's centered by gathering up all the fabric over the pillow and carefully turned it around.  I adjusted it if needed.

Once I was certain the pillow was centered I folded the bottom edge over the pillow, making sure to use enough fabric to tuck under each side of the pillow, see image above.

 I then repeated the last step with the top section.

I folded over the left and right sections and also folded the tips.  Remove any loose threads.

 With thread and needle, stitch and "x" on each corner of the tips.  Make sure each stitch picks up every layer of fabric otherwise your pillow will be fall apart during any pillow fights :)

You can also use safety pins, buttons or perhaps even velcro for this last step.  Either way, make sure to secure the tips. I then repeated these folding steps with each pillow.





These pillow covers will be easy to remove and get them ready for whatever comes next...

Happy Football Season folks and may the best team win!  Until next time,
SHARING THIS POST WITH:

4 comments:

  1. Very creative, and very cute.
    You must be a die-hard football fan; you even decorate with football themed items :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Kerin, I really am. I'm so glad it's finally here!! You haven't seen all my football stuff yet!! I might post it by the end of the weekend if I'm able. Have a great week! -Bev

      Delete
  2. Bev these will surely start the season with style. Hugs P.S. I invite you to share at my Thursday blog hop ( you can link up today and tomorrow too)

    ReplyDelete